Plenitude Magazine is currently seeking a permanent, part-time book reviews editor to start January 2021. The candidate will work to oversee the regular online publication of book reviews from prominent and up-and-coming LGBTQ2s+ authors. Plenitude publishes one review per month all year round on its website, excluding summer months.
• Soliciting reviews from members of the Canadian LGBTQ2s+ writer community who are passionate about reviewing collections of poetry, short stories, novels, and anthologies by or about queer and trans authors
• Researching upcoming publications by queer and trans authors (publishing houses and their catalogues) to determine the best books to review, especially those by Canadian BIPOC authors
• Contacting publishing houses to send review copies of books to the chosen reviewers
• Working with the reviewers on a publishing schedule, as well as to edit and finetune their book reviews, fact checking names, titles, and quotes when necessary
• Coordinating with the managing editor to maintain a firm publishing schedule
The ideal candidate will:
• Be familiar with Plenitude and the style of reviews we publish
• Have a strong background in Canadian literature, especially from queer writers
• Have professional editorial experience, with reviews editing preferred
• Be committed to diversity in publishing, to publishing work that breaks new ground, and to representing marginalized voices
• Be an LGBTQ2s+ person
Though we will consider all applications, we are particularly interested in hearing from BIPOC and disabled applicants. Plenitude is a volunteer-run organization, but we offer an honorarium of $100 per month, all year. This position requires a minimum of 5 hours per month and can be done from anywhere in Canada.
Deadline is December 10, 2020. To apply, send your resume (as a Word document or PDF) and cover letter to Patrick Grace, managing editor, at email@example.com.