Starting May 1 until October 1, Plenitude is only accepting submissions by Canadian authors. This includes Canadian citizens living in Canada or abroad; those who identify as Indigenous; and/or residents of Canada (temporary residents or refugees). Submissions by non-Canadians during this time will not be read and will be rejected.
Response time ranges from one to six months. All submissions should be unpublished, original works.
All poetry and prose (fiction, creative nonfiction) must be submitted via our Submittable platform:
Emailed submissions will not be considered. For book reviews and articles, see below.
Plenitude Magazine is Canada’s only queer literary magazine. We aim to promote the growth and development of LGBTQ2S+ literature through online publication of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, book reviews, and interviews by both emerging and established LGBTQ2S+ writers. We especially encourage BIPOC, trans, and disabled writers to submit their work.
We define queer literature and arts as works created by LGBTQ2S+ people, rather than works which feature queer content alone.
We are not interested in genre writing, political essays, or rants; that said, we recognize that LGBTQ2S+ experiences are often inherently political, and we invite submissions that explore this through creative writing. If you are interested in writing political essays or other critical analyses of interest to a queer literary readership, please query the reviews editor at reviews(at)plenitudemagazine.ca.
- Poetry: Up to five pages of poetry, single spaced, in a 12-point font. Each poem should appear on a new page. Submit one file per submission with all poetry in the same document.
- Fiction: One story per submission, double spaced, paginated, in a 12-point font, maximum 5,000 words.
- Nonfiction: One piece per submission, double spaced, paginated, in a 12-point font, maximum 5,000 words.
- Book Reviews: Query the reviews editor for reviews (up to 1000 words): reviews(at)plenitudemagazine.ca
- Articles: Query the reviews editor for articles (up to 3000 words): reviews(at)plenitudemagazine.ca
A cover letter in the document you upload is not necessary. Instead, please enter your name, mailing address, email address, titles of poems, and a 50-word bio into the Cover Letter section of the form. Do let us know if you are a BIPOC, trans, or disabled writer.
Please submit work only once per calendar year for any genre. Multiple submissions in the same calendar year by the same writer will be rejected.
We accept simultaneous submissions; in the event that your submission is accepted elsewhere, please let us know right away.
Writers are paid $35 CAD per poem and $80 CAD per prose contribution (including book reviews and articles).
Plenitude Magazine buys first serial rights; copyright remains with the author/creator.