Submissions are open all year round to Canadian, American, and international writers. Response time ranges from one to six months. All submissions should be unpublished, original works.
All poetry and prose (fiction, creative nonfiction) must be submitted via our Submittable platform:
Emailed submissions will not be considered. For book reviews and articles, see below.
Plenitude Magazine is Canada’s only queer literary magazine. We aim to promote the growth and development of LGBTQ2S+ literature through online publication of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, book reviews, and interviews by both emerging and established LGBTQ2S+ writers. We especially encourage BIPOC and trans writers to submit their work.
We define queer literature and arts as works created by LGBTQ2S+ people, rather than works which feature queer content alone.
We are not interested in genre writing, political essays, or rants; that said, we recognize that LGBTQ2S+ experiences are often inherently political, and we invite submissions that explore this through creative writing. If you are interested in writing political essays or other critical analyses of interest to a queer literary readership, please query the reviews editor at reviews(at)plenitudemagazine.ca.
- Poetry: Up to 10 pages of poetry, single spaced, paginated, 12 point font. One file per submission with all poetry in the same document.
- Fiction: Up to 2 stories per submission, double spaced, paginated, 12 point font, maximum 5,000 words per story.
- Nonfiction: Up to 2 pieces per submission, double spaced, paginated, 12 point font, maximum 5,000 words per piece.
- Book Reviews: Query the reviews editor for reviews (up to 1000 words): reviews(at)plenitudemagazine.ca
- Articles: Query the reviews editor for articles (up to 3000 words): reviews(at)plenitudemagazine.ca
Be sure to include a cover letter with a short bio, your mailing address, and email address.
We aim to reflect and reach a diverse group of readers and writers. To help us in our ongoing effort to achieve this goal, we invite you to include demographic information about yourself (age, race, gender), and let us know where you heard about Plenitude.
We accept simultaneous submissions; in the event that your submission is accepted elsewhere, please let us know right away.
Writers are paid $35 CAD per poem and $80 CAD per prose contribution (including book reviews and articles).
Plenitude Magazine buys first serial rights; copyright remains with the author/creator.